Goal 1: Practice assertive communication at work.

Reality: I too often avoid issues at work or attempt to harmonize because I’m not comfortable having difficult conversations.

Options/obstacles: I need to practice having fierce conversations so that I learn through experience that they are worth having. It will help for me to plan for these conversations using tools from  LEAD 1102.

Way forward/will: I will take a course in assertive communication next year to develop my confidence and skills in this area.

Goal 2: Expand my leadership experience within my organization over the next year.

Reality: I focus on leadership of my own department and on opportunities to collaborate with external colleagues and groups, and don’t always consider organization-wide needs.

Options/obstacles: I can join or chair a standing committee, or look for a cross-organization project I would be able to lead.

Way forward/way: Put my name forward when the next committee membership call is issued.

Goal 3: Refocus my energy internally within my organization over the next year.

Reality: I have focused on one area of my team more than others, and have focused too much of my time and energy on professional efforts related but external to the organization.

Options/obstacles: I supervise three separate but inter-related functional areas, and my office is located with the busiest and largest group. This means that I tend to focus on that area and ignore the other two. I have also tended to focus a lot of my energy on my work with colleagues from other organizations. A certain amount of this is fine, but I’ve been starting to feel that the balance is not where it should be.

Way forward/will: Step down from chair position of external committee. Undertake planning exercise with the two “other” areas that I supervise using “dotmocracy” tool from Lead 1103.

Goal 4: Apply for a senior position when relevant one is posted.

Reality: I have several years’ experience in a middle management position and strong leadership experience, particularly outside of the organization. I will need to look for opportunities to gain more internal leadership experience outside of my department to look convincing in applying for a senior position internally.

Options/obstacles: I enjoy my position and would not be disappointed to remain in it for another few years, but eventually I will probably want more challenge. I also think my style of leadership is lacking at the senior level and that I would have something to contribute there.

Way forward/will: It is likely that senior positions will be posted in the next year or two. There is at least one position I would be interested in and have the experience for. I will apply for this position when it’s posted.

Photo by Scott Webb on Unsplash